Sunday, March 6, 2016

7 Easy Steps for the Lonely Writer

All right, that title is a misnomer. Sorry if you found this somewhere in the vast oceans of the internet, hoping to find a list of seven easy steps to help writers who are lonely. But! Before you go away, please read on: This may give you ideas.

Writing prompts. They're great. Or they can be. They usually are. A good writing prompt serves multiple purposes, but the most obvious is, well, obvious: It gets you writing!

The story goes like this: My wife was going to be out of town for a week, and we're still relatively newly weds, so she knew I wasn't thrilled about being alone in the apartment for so long. To help while she's away, she created a folder on my computer: "Writing Prompts." I open it up and see one document for every day that she is gone, each with a new writing prompt she created in order to get my creative juices flowing in productivity, and to combat the fact that I'll be missing her like crazy.

I took it one step further, on a whim, after completing the first writing prompt: Make each consecutive entry a new chapter in the same story, so that each writing prompt is like a scene and they all fit into one big narrative. This would be especially challenging, as I was only looking at the prompts one at a time, as I was writing them. No peeking ahead.

I'm on Day 5 now, and the experiment has been quite fun. I've fallen into a strange Divine Comedy-type, Christmas Carol-esque tale, and I thought I'd share!

7 prompts, 7 days. I'll be posting these faster than one-a-day, though, since I've already written over half, but just know that they've been written one-a-day, I haven't cheated and looked ahead, and I haven't edited previous days to fit with current prompts.

Heeeeeeeeeeere we... go!

~~~~~~~
 
THE COMPLETE STORY:
Step 1. Ten Thousand Steps.
Step 2. A Companion.
Step 3. A Drunken Detour.
Step 4. The Hills Have Eyes.
Step 5. Her Graven Image.
Step 6. The Earth, Flattened.
Step 7. Back to the Beginning.

Step 10,000. Colla Voce. 

THE PROMPTS SO FAR: 
Day 1: Find the good in "goodbye."
Day 2: Our crazy cat.
Day 3: A Friday night gone bad.
Day 4: Monsters.
Day 5: Fame.
Day 6: Conspiracy theories.
Day 7: Backwards! 

No comments:

Post a Comment